Announcement of the Philadelphia College of Medicine, for the Spring Session,1851.
Description of the Spring 1851 course of medical lectures and classes held at the Philadelphia College of Medicine, includes a list of faculty, the schedule and calendar of classroom lectures and hospital and clinic visits, a list of required textbooks on 10 subject areas, and a brief summary of fees.
Students had access to dissecting rooms (“as long as the weather will permit” and for an additional fee) and to various hospitals, clinics, and obstetrical facilities in the city including The Pennsylvania Hospital, Wills’ Hospital, and The Philadelphia Dispensary.
“The Philadelphia College of Medicine had its origins in the Philadelphia School of Anatomy, which was established by James McClintock in 1838. In 1847 McClinlock obtained a charter from the Pennsylvania Legislature to establish the Philadelphia College of Mcdicitie. ... The five story building contained two lecture r o o m s, an anatomical theater, a museum, a dissecting room, classrooms, and rooms for professors. In addition, the College included a pharmacy department to instruct advanced students. Students had access to
Pennsylvania Hospital, Wills Hospital, and the Philadelphia Dispensary for clinical instruction.”¹
A wood engraving on the title page depicts the five story medical college building at Fifth and Walnut Streets originally constructed for the Supreme Court of Pennsylvania.²
Description: Announcement of the Philadelphia College of Medicine, for the Spring Session,1851.
Philadelphia: T.K.and P.G. Collins, Printers, 1851. 8pp. 8vo, Pamphlet, without wrappers, removed. Illustration cut on title. Small margin-area paper loss to title page, light foxing; good.
Notes 1. Extinct Philadelphia Medical Schools, University of Pennsylvania University Archives accessed online. 2. Ibid.