Irving Female College, Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania [1856 circular].
Circular letter announcing the inaugural session of Irving Female College, the first women’s college in Pennsylvania to grant degrees in arts and sciences. The school was named in honor of writer Washington Irving, who served on its board of trustees until his death.
Irving Female College was founded as a ladies’ seminary in 1856 by Mechanicsburg businessman, Solomon Burgess, and chartered as a college in 1857. The circular was issued by its principal, Methodist minister Rev. A.G. Martlatt, who conducted the school from its founding until his death in 1865. The letter promotes the college’s amenities, curriculum, and faculty and includes a list of fees for tuition and extra instruction in music, vocal music, painting and drawing, and modern languages. The college closed in 1929.
Unrecorded in OCLC which returns only a handful of items related to this school.
Description: Irving Female College, Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania [1856 circular].
[Mechanicsburg, Cumberland County, Pa., July 1856]. p. Quarto. Bifolium with integral address leaf; wax seal. Transmittal folds; near fine.