The Manufactories & Business Houses of the Firm of A. W. Faber, An Historical Sketch. Dedicated, by the Head of the Firm, to his Business Friends and Patrons.
Very scarce. Color illustrated history of of the firm A.W. Faber Company, international lead pencil, writing slate, and art supplies manufacturers and merchants. The company was established in 1761 at Stein, near Nuremberg, Germany, by Kaspar Faber (1730–1784) who named the company after his son and successor, Anton W. Faber (1758–1819). Includes much on Lothar von Faber who modernized the company, expanded to the U.S, and introduced the hexagonal pencil.
Full-page chromolithographic illustrations show scenes in graphite mines; the company’s writing factory at Geroldsgrün in Bavaria; its ink and watercolor factory at Noisy-le-Sec; stores in London, Paris, New York and Berlin; and a series of 8 plates showing factory interiors, the pencil manufacturing process, and the division of labor among male and female workers.
Still headquartered at Stein, the company is now known as Faber-Castell.
Description: The Manufactories & Business Houses of the Firm of A. W. Faber, An Historical Sketch. Dedicated, by the Head of the Firm, to his Business Friends and Patrons.
[Sheffield (U.K.): Pawson & Brailsford, Printers] 1896. Photogravure port. frontis., 57, pp +  chromolithographic plates. First edition. 11 x 7½ inches. Publisher’s cloth with gilt titling. Small portion of rear board with mild discoloration; title-page faintly foxed; very good.