Annual Catalogue of the Opheleton Female Seminary. Easton, Northampton County, Pa. For the Years 1854-5.
1854 Annual catalogue of Opheleton Female Seminary, an all-girls school in Easton, Pennsylvania. The seminary was founded by E. Dean Dow in 1850 and closed in 1856, later moving to New Jersey and being revived by two sisters as the Plainfield College for Young Ladies.
Opheleton Female Seminary taught spelling, arithmetic, grammar, history of the United States, natural history, botany, chemistry, astronomy, mental philosophy, moral science, etc. Extra studies for additional fees included Latin, French, painting and drawing. With a description of the text books used, buildings, cost of boarding and classes. The list of pupils of 1854 show most coming from Pennsylvania and New Jersey. The frontispiece shows an image of the school grounds and building.
Description: Annual Catalogue of the Opheleton Female Seminary. Easton, Northampton County, Pa. For the Years 1854-5.
Philadelphia: C. Sherman and Son, 1855. 20pp. 8½ x 5½ inches. Lithographic frontispiece shows Seminary. Pamphlet; removed; without wrappers; mild staining; last page with short tear. Very Good.