Fifth Annual Circular and Catalogue of the Frederick Female Seminary, for the Year ending July 11, 1850.
1850 publication for Frederick Female Seminary, an all-girls school founded in Frederick, Maryland by Hiram Winchester and chartered in 1840. The school, which was divided into preparatory and collegiate departments, taught spelling, grammar, natural science, penmanship, elocution, chemistry, botany, algebra, geometry, etc. plus foreign languages, music, drawing, embroidery, and shell work. With lists of faculty, students, and graduates, the latter drawn primarily from Maryland and Virginia.
In addition to paying students, Winchester enrolled one orphan from each city and county in Maryland. A wood-engraved illustration on the title page shows the seminary’s Greek Revival main building which later served as a Civil War hospital. The school was subsequently incorporated into the women’s section of Mercersburg College and later re-named Hood College after philanthropist and women’s education advocate Margret Hood (1833–1913), an alumna of Frederick Female Seminary.
Description: Fifth Annual Circular and Catalogue of the Frederick Female Seminary, for the Year ending July 11, 1850.
Frederick, Maryland: Schley & Haller, 1850. 16 pages. Sm. 8vo. Removed; without wrappers. Title page vignette. Foxing; Very Good.
Ref. HF–Womens–History–Walking–Tour.pdf [Heritage Frederick’s Museum of Frederick County History and Frederick County Archives and Research Center] accessed online.