Descriptive Catalogue of Chemical Apparatus, Chemicals and Pure Reagents, Imported and Sold by Edward N. Kent, Practical Chemist, No. 116 John-Street, Near Pearl, New-York.


Found only in three copies, a well-illustrated 1848 trade catalog issued by Edward N. Kent, Practical Chemist, of chemical apparatuses, chemical laboratory ware, chemicals, and reagents for chemical analysis.

In the introduction to this second edition of Kent’s catalog (the first was in 1846) he announces new apparatuses, such as “Morse’s Electro-Magnetic Telegraph” and “Berzelius’ Blowpie Apparatus,” and informs his customers that “...a Workshop for making apparatus, and a commodious Laboratory for making rare chemical preparations, and a separate laboratory for analyses, have been connected with this establishment.” Also new was the pricing: instead of the previous pricing in British currency the prices were now American currency.

Edward N. Kent supplied glass ware such as retorts and tubes; thermometers; porcelain crucibles and evaporating dishes; “Liebig’s Apparatus for organic Analysis”; electro-magnetic and galvanic apparatuses; “Daguerreotype Apparatus” including cameras, plates, and chemicals; reagent test kits; balances; filter papers; furnaces; and “Gas Apparatus.” The catalog concludes with eight pages of chemicals and pure reagents.


Description: Descriptive Catalogue of Chemical Apparatus, Chemicals and Pure Reagents, Imported and Sold by Edward N. Kent, Practical Chemist, No. 116 John-Street, Near Pearl, New-York.

New York: Van Norden & Amerman, Printers, 1848. Second Edition. iv, [3], 8–62, [2 (blank)]pp. 8¼ x 5¼ inches. Pamphlet, removed; without wrappers. Line illustrations. Soft vertical center crease; light foxing; Very Good.

[3730128]

OCLC 79148537 (3 copies: NYPL, Gen. Theol. Sem, Hagley).


Price: $375.00