[Stanford White, Architect:] Dedication of the Prison Ship Martyrs Monument, November 14, 1908 [cover title].
A monument for a prison hulk. Dedication souvenir for the Prison Ship Martyrs’ Monument designed by architect Stanford White (1853–1906) of the firm McKim, Mead & White and erected in Fort Greene Park in Brooklyn. The monument is believed to be the last effort of Stanford White before his sensational murder in 1906 (see p). White’s portrait is seen within.
Dedicated in 1908 by President-elect William Howard Taft, the monument commemorates the more than 11,500 American prisoners of war who died aboard British prison ships during the American Revolution. The monument served as a crypt for some of the martyrs and comprised a 149-foot Doric column of granite topped by a bronze brazier.
Contents offer an historical account of the prison ship martyrs—well-illustrated and with maps—the order of the dedicatory ceremonies, a description of the parade, and a complete history of the Prison Ship Monument Association. Numerous half tone portraits of Taft (who gave an oration), General Luke E. Wright, Charles E. Hughes (then-Governor of New York and later Chief Justice of the U.S. Supreme Court), Patrick F. M’Gowan, Thomas Walsh, Charles F. Roe, Daniel F. Cohalan, Horatio C. King, and advertisements.
The color illustration on the cover of the dedication souvenir shows “America” or “Columbia” covering her eyes in mourning and looking out to a prison ship on the water; she waves a martyr’s palm while holding a laurel wreath-festooned American flag.
Description: [Stanford White, Architect:] Dedication of the Prison Ship Martyrs Monument, November 14, 1908 [cover title].
[New York, 1908].  pages. 9¾ x 6¾ inches. Color printed wrappers. Half tone illustrations; maps; advertisements. Tiny abrasion to front wrapper and smudges to rear; short tears to a few leaves; scattered printing smudges; Very Good.