Pocket Map of Greater New York. [1896 Chicago Imprint]
With illustrated advertisement for a NYC manufacturer of machines for milling and fabricating bicycle parts
Double-sided map of New York City advertising bicycle machinery, milling machines and machine tools manufactured by The Garvin Machine Co. of New York and Philadelphia.
The two maps are entitles “Pocket Map of Greater New York,” showing Manhattan and the outer boroughs and suburbs, and “Map of The City of New York,” showing more detailed street maps of Manhattan, The Bronx, Brooklyn, etc. A quarter of the sheet of the former map comprises the advertisement for The Garvin Machine Co. and shows five floor-standing machines for milling and fabricating bicycle parts. An illustration on the back cover of the bifolium into which the map is mounted depicts the company’s new offices, factory and show rooms at Spring and Varick Streets in lower Manhattan.
The Garvin Machine Co. “…was founded in NYC by Hugh Garvin in the 1880s and his son, Eugene E. Garvin, continued it as the E.E. Garvin Machine Company after Hugh’s death. The shop was located first on Centre and then Laight Streets, but moved to Varick and Spring by 1897 after a fire at Laight, and remained there till the company’s dissolution in 1925.”¹
OCLC locates copies at NYPL and University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee.
Description: Pocket Map of Greater New York. [1896 Chicago Imprint]
Chicago: The Fort Dearborn Publishing Co., (1896). pp. Double-sided, folding Pocket Map. 5½ x 3¼ inches. Map sheet mounted within stiff paper bifolium covers. Map sheet opening to 14¾ x 21¼ inches. Printed in three colors. Advertisement; illustrations. Covers chipped and also detached along spine. Map itself is crisp and clean with short separations along two folds.
Note. 1. GARVIN MACHINE CO., Spring and Varick Streets, SoHo - Forgotten New York accessed online.