Map of of the town of Chautauqua, New York, situated on Chautauqua Lake in western New York State. The town was the location of the Chautauqua Institution, a popular educational center and summer resort which traces its origins to a training camp for Sunday school teachers begun in 1874. Over time the Chautauqua Institution’s programs expanded to include educational programs and lectures on the arts, music, literature plus theatrical, dance, film, and musical entertainments.
The map locates the Chautauqua Institution’s main buildings and its many lecture and performance spaces. Buildings include the 4,000-seat Amphitheatre, the Athenaeum Hotel, Kellogg Hall, Union Class Building, the Hall of Pedagogy, etc. plus the Bath House, “Base-Ball Grounds,” lake-side Palestine Park (an outdoor, geographically-correct, scaled map of the biblical Holy Land), a steamboat landing, traction (trolley) station, and the Jamestown & Chautauqua Railway depot.¹
An earlier version of this map does not show the route to Chautauqua’s golf links as seen here. The links were laid out in 1896. Another addition to this map—a “Public Garage,” however, suggests that this map was issued after motor cars were more widely used, possibly dating this map to the 1910s. A further addition to this map can be seen at the upper right: an Industrial Colony.
Description: Chautauqua. [map]
Buffalo, N.Y.: The Matthews-Northrup Works, [c. 1910s?]. Map. 13¼ x 21½ inches. Printed on translucent “onion skin” paper. A few ink annotation on verso; later typed label affixed to map on right. Folds and creases; some scattered staining; very good.
Note. 1. A later typed label affixed to the map refers to the Jamestown & Chautauqua Railway depot and the Chautauqua Institution presidency of Oscar Remick who led the institution from 1971 to 1977.