Chautauqua. [map, pre-1896]
Map of of the town of Chautauqua, New York, situated on Chautauqua Lake in western New York State. The town was the location of the Chautauqua Institution, a popular educational center and summer resort which traces its origins to a training camp for Sunday school teachers begun in 1874. Over time the Chautauqua Institution’s programs expanded to include educational programs and lectures on the arts, music, literature plus theatrical, dance, film, and musical entertainments.
The map locates the Chautauqua Institution’s main buildings and its many lecture and performance spaces. Buildings include the 4,000-seat Amphitheatre, the Athenaeum Hotel, Kellogg Hall, Union Class Building, the Hall of Pedagogy, etc. plus the Bath House, “Base-Ball Grounds,” lake-side Palestine Park (an outdoor, geographically-correct, scaled map of the biblical Holy Land), a steamboat landing, traction (trolley) station, and the Jamestown & Chautauqua Railway depot. The Chautauqua Institution’s golf links, laid out in 1896, do not appear on the map, thus suggesting an earlier date.
Description: Chautauqua. [map, pre-1896]
Buffalo, N.Y.: The Matthews-Northrup Works, [before 1896?]. Map. 13½ x 22 inches. Printed on translucent “onion skin” paper. Folds and creases; some toning at edges and folds; near fine.