[1889 Lancaster Bicycle Club of Pennsylvania, Small Archive of Printed Matter, Correspondence, Receipts, and Other Papers].
Small archive of correspondence, financial documents, and papers kept by the Lancaster Bicycle Club of Lancaster, Pennsylvania. All dating from 1889, the collection covers such aspects of club life as its annual bicycle racing tournament, club dues payments, operating expenses, communications etc.
A significant portion of the material seen here—printed and manuscript—is focused on the club-sponsored “Fourth Annual Tournament,” a series of bicycle races held at the Lancaster Driving Park on July 18–19.
Notable here is the oversized, printed program for the tournament, a separately printed prize list and announcement of the race’s postponement from its original Fourth of July date, and receipts relating to program advertisements and for the purchase of prizes from Lancaster optician and jeweler D.F. Grove. Interestingly, one of the program advertizers, John G. Zook of nearby Lititz, Pennsylvania—dealer in “New and Second-Hand Cycles,” appears to have been a bookseller too.
There were 17 bicycle races in the July tournament including “One Mile Novice—Open,” “One Mile Ordinary—Open to Boys Under 16 Years,” “One Mile Pennsylvania L.A.W. [League of American Wheelmen] Championship,” “Three Mile Club Team—Teams of 3 Men,” “Two Mile Club Handicap (Safeties barred),” “Half Mile ‘Hands Off’—Open,” and “Three Mile Lap Race—Open.” Prizes were generous including a “Victor Cyclometer”, a “Waterbury Watch,” gold medals, “Elegant Silver-headed Cane,” “Diamond Scarf Pin,” a “Gold Pencil,” a “Bicycle Suit,” “Bicycle Saddle,” “Bicycle Shoes,” and, for the team event, a “Sterling Silver Cup by Gorham.”
There were “consolation” races and prizes too, plus the first evening of the tournament featured a “Japanese lantern parade.”
Some of the club’s income and expenses are recorded here on its own letterhead for club rooms at 28 and 30 East King Street; club officers are listed thereon. A receipt from later that year suggests they moved their premises to North Queen Street.
Other receipts record the club’s subscription to The Wheel and Cycling Trade Review published in new York City. Miscellaneous manuscripts record club dues payments plus there is one page of minutes from a club meeting. Correspondence includes a letter from Philadelphia engraver Henry M. Snyder concerning a “cut in 2 Colors,” possibly for a club logotype, and two letters from club Secretary and Treasurer H.M. Greil concerning his resignation.
An intriguing group of manuscripts and papers offering a concise view of one bicycle club’s activities in the golden age of American bicycling.
Description: [1889 Lancaster Bicycle Club of Pennsylvania, Small Archive of Printed Matter, Correspondence, Receipts, and Other Papers].
[Mainly Lancaster, Pennsylvania, 1889]. Approx. pp. Printed, partly-printed, and manuscript items including letters, receipts, a printed program (bifolium, 12 x 9½ inches), a printed prize list (bifolium, 8½ x 5½ inches), and miscellaneous manuscripts. Folds; very good.