Education for Negroes in Mississippi Since 1910.
Comprehensive history of elementary through college education for African Americans in Mississippi.
The history was written by Prof. Charles H. Wilson, Sr., formerly of Mississippi’s Alcorn A.& M. College and spans the years from 1910 to the immediate post-Second World War era.
Includes a chapter on supervising teachers paid for by the Jeanes Foundation also known as the Negro Rural School Fund.
Other chapters cover vocational, religious, athletic, music education, etc.
Among the institutions of higher learning discussed are the Mary Holmes Seminary in West Point; the Okolona Industrial School; the schools at Piney Woods, notably its school for the blind; the Southern Christian Institute in Edwards; Alcorn A.& M.; Jackson College for Negroes; and Tougaloo College. Scarce in dust jacket.
Description: Education for Negroes in Mississippi Since 1910.
Boston: Meador Publishing Company, (1947). 641pp. First Edition. 8vo. Publisher’s gilt-titled burgundy cloth plus illustrated dust jacket. Numerous half tone illustrations. Dust jacket toned and stained along spine and with edge wear to flaps, the upper flap being separated; near fine in scarce, though worn, dust jacket.
Not in Work or Blockson Catalogue.