[1880s Group of Pamphlets relating to American Missionaries in Japan, issued by the American Board of Commissioners for Foreign Missions].
The American Board of Commissioners for Foreign Missions was an inter-denominational Protestant missionary group formed in 1810 by graduates of Williams College. By the 1870s, the A.B.C.F.M. was run under the auspices of Congregationalist churches. The A.B.C.F.M. sponsored missions to Native Americans, Africa, Europe, the Middle East, Asia, and Oceania. In 1869, the A.B.C.F.M. sent its first missionaries to Japan. The present group of pamphlets include specific works on Japan, issued or published by them.
1. Haydn, H.C. Rooms of the American Board, Boston and New York. Np. [Boston?], 1884. pp. Leaflet on the “Kioto [Kyoto] Training School” and missions to the Island of Kiushiu [Kyushu].
2. Mission Training School, Kioto, Japan. Its Growth and Promise. 1875–1888. Boston: Rooms of A.B.C.F.M., 1 Somerset St., 1888. 24pp. Self-wrappers. Report on the Kyoto mission and its training school including extracts from annual reports and an 1885 letter signed in print by five Japanese.
3. E.K.A. [E.K. Alden], A Jinrikisha Ride in Tokyo. By a Well-Known Missionary. Boston: Beacon Press, 1 Somerset St., 1889. pp. Self-wrappers; stitched. A survey of the A.B.C.F.M.‘s work in Japan told via a conceit of a rickshaw ride through the country.
4. Clark, D.D., N.G., Rev. Twenty Years in Japan. Np. [Boston?], c.1889. pp. Self-wrappers; folded in half. Clark was the Foreign Secretary of the A.B.C.F.M. His report was “Presented at the Annual Meeting of the Board at New York, October 16, 1889.” Pamphlet contains a few pencil mark brackets. Accompanied by an envelope from the likely publisher, Charles E. Swett of 1 Somerset Street, Boston.
5. The Field, The Force, and The Work. [Boston?: A.B.C.F.M.], 1890. 8pp. Four-panel leaflet or brochure. Overview of A.B.C.F.M. missions throughout the world including Ceylon [Sri Lanka]; “Hawaiian Islands;” “Western Turkey;” “Zulus in South Africa;” “Foochow [Fuzhou], in South China;” Micronesia, Japan, Spain, Austria, “Northern Mexico;” and Hong Kong. Other sections include “Our Girls’ Schools,” “How is the Money Spent?,” and “What We Need.”
Description: [1880s Group of Pamphlets relating to American Missionaries in Japan, issued by the American Board of Commissioners for Foreign Missions].
Boston: [various imprints], 1884, 1888–1890. Various paginations; described below. 5 items. Fine condition.