[17th Century Pennsylvania Indenture of Richard Halliwell of Newcastle and Hannah Blake of Philadelphia conveying Land in Chester County, Pennsylvania to Thomas Cartwrite].
1698 Pennsylvania indenture conveying land in Chester County, Pennsylvania originally deeded by William Penn to the prominent New Castle, Delaware Quaker and Provincial Assemblyman and jurist, Edward Blake. The indenture is signed by Blake’s widow and by Richard Halliwell, Blake’s fellow Associate Justice of Delaware.
Seventeenth-century Pennsylvania indenture conveying 250 acres of land on Chester Creek in Chester County originally deeded to Edward Blake by William Penn, Propriatary and Governor, in 1681.
The 1698 indenture is between merchant Richard Halliwell of New Castle, Delaware and widow Hannah Blake of Philadelphia, co-executors of Edward Blake,¹ on the one part, and Thomas Carthrite, yeoman of Ashton Township, Chester County, on the other part.
The document notes the metes and bounds of the land, the date of its original conveyance from William Penn in 1681, and the Chester County Court’s permission given to Halliwell and Blake, as executors, to sell the land. Later, in 1789, this land would be transferred to the jurisdiction of the newly-created Delaware County, Pennsylvania.
The indenture was signed, sealed, and delivered by Halliwell and Blake on August 16, 1698; it was also signed by two witnesses, Ro. ffrench and John Cadwallader. At the bottom, an added inscription notes that the indenture was “[a]cknowledged in open court and certified under the clarks hand And County Seale the 13th Day of September Anno Dom[in]i 1698” by John Childe, Deputy Master of the Rolls.
“Edward Blake was the leader of New Castle [Delaware] Friends [Quakers] during this period [early 1690s]. He was also prominent in civic affairs. He served as a member of the Provincial Assembly from 1687 to 1694. His first wife, Sarah, died in 1687, and he married Hannah DeCou, widow of Jacob DeCou of the St. Georges Creek Friends settlement, in 1689. Edward Blake died in 1695.”²
“Richard Halliwell, appointed [Associate Justice of Delaware along with Edward Blake] soon after 1690, was a member of the court in 1694, and was one of those who, in that year, settled the dispute between the justices in relation to the county seat of Kent County. He was a resident of New Castle and donated the glebe to the Immanuel Church in that place.”³
Description: [17th Century Pennsylvania Indenture of Richard Halliwell of Newcastle and Hannah Blake of Philadelphia conveying Land in Chester County, Pennsylvania to Thomas Cartwrite].
[Chester, Pennsylvania], August 16, 1698 and September 29, 1698. p., contemporary docketing on verso. Vellum with seals and pendant seal. 10½ x 14¼ inches. Folds; some soiling; very good.
1. (The Colonial Dames of Delaware), A Calendar of Delaware Wills (New York, 1911), p10. 2. Standing, “Quakers in Delaware in the Time of William Penn” in Delaware History, Vol. XX, No. 2 (Fall–Winter 1982), p135. 3. Scharf, History of Delaware (Philadelphia, 1888), p536.